Thursday, July 14, 2011

6MP and Me

My 6MP journey began on January 5, 2010. The plan was to take the meds for 2 weeks then have blood work done and re-evaluate where to go from there. I guess that the blood work was to make sure nothing crazy was happening! So - wednesday (1/5) took first dose...felt ok - but by the evening was pretty nauseous. Day 2 - more nausea and now fatigue. But - on the good side - the frequent bowel movements were become a little less often!

January 8th was my 11 year wedding anniversary!!!! Since I had been in a flare for nearly 3 months by this time we didn't plan anything big for our anniversary! Tim (my amazing husband) booked us into a hotel in Los Angeles for an overnight get away and arranged for the kids to go to his parents house for the weekend! His plan was to have a nice dinner and then go to the club on the roof of the hotel! It was so sweet of him to plan something like that - and normally I would have been super super excited! Well - seeing the way I had been feeling - I suggested a more low key location a bit closer to home! So - Pelican Hill Resort in Newport it was!!!! I was very excited for it because I had heard amazing things about it! Every room is a private bungalow!

So Saturday was day 4 on the 6MP - the nausea was still in full effect as was the fatigue. I was still having cramping that came and went too! But - 11 year anniversaries only come once so I was determined to suck it up and have fun! Even bought a new dress :)

Some friends met us for cocktails and appetizers by the pool - we were all dressed up! It was so fun! I even splurged and had 2 glasses of champagne (probably not smart on the meds but I didn't care!) Here is a pic of my amazing husband of 11 years and I that night!

It was a nice night - wish I would have felt better - but it was still a great celebration!!

After I managed to get through that weekend the nausea and fatigue continued to get worse everyday. I re read the pamphlets the pharmacy gives to you and it said those were standard side effects. So I never called my GI to report it. After all - he said it would take time for the medicine to work! I plugged away! Just surviving! The cramping was still on again off again - still fairly frequent bowel movements but the nausea was slowly taking over everything!

Did I mention that not only is our anniversary in January - but both our kids birthdays? And it is the start of the competitive cheer season for my daughter too! So through all of this I was planning 3 birthday parties (Brady had 1 large one but Abbie had 2 smaller ones-one for cheer friends and one for school friends) and getting Abbie ready for a cheer competition.

So January 15th - Brady's actually birthday - rock climbing party for 20 of his friends then family birthday dinner later that night! Then Sunday the 16th - Abbie's (all day) cheer competition! Ok - so I love pictures so I have to post one from each of those events!

Brady coming down from climbing to the TOP!
Abbie is the 2nd one from the left!!!
By the time the cheer competition hit, I had gone to carrying lots of mints with me (they helped with the nausea) and wearing the seasickness bands! I was game to try anything. I know - at this point I should have called the doctor - but I had too much going on and I kept telling myself that the pamphlet says this is normal! I survived it but barely! One more event to go - Monday the 17th was a holiday from school (Maritn Luther King) and it was Abbie's cheer friends birthday party!

My birthday girl!

OK - so I survived all of those events! The kids went back to school Tuesday and I collapsed. Wednesday the 19th was the 2 week mark - off to the lab for blood work! Thursday I was in bed most of the day just resting - telling Tim I over did it form the weekend and I would be fine with some down time!

Tim usually rides his bike every Friday morning - Friday the 21st I asked him not to go (when the alarm went off at 5:30) because I didn't think I would be well enough to drive the kids to school! He stayed home - got kids ready and took them to school! I told him I just needed to sleep it off - maybe I was getting a bug! He left me with some Sprite and a bagel and said he would check back on me later. Thank God he did! By 11 am I had a 104 degree fever and could barely move. Pain level at a 9. Off to the ER we went!

It was determined that I had a reaction to the 6MP and that it was no longer an option for me to take!

Back to the drawing board we went!

No comments:

Post a Comment